Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: 802.1x and PEAP

From: Camillo Bucciarelli <camillobucciarelli () yahoo it>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:02:35 +0100 (CET)

Thanks,
this is what I need to know.

I have another question: I need to use 802.1x in order
to enable the "broadcast key rotation"?

Camillo

 --- shankarnarayan.d () netsol co in ha scritto: > The
Lines below have been pulled straight from the
PEAP working draft. This
clearly defines that the initial negotiation of the
PEAP is as in the TLS -
thus providing the necessary security.
Hope this answers your question OR have I got it
wrong - If you believe this
is not the information that you were looking for
request you to please
rephrase your question

Shankar

Protected EAP (PEAP) Version 2 is comprised of a
two-part
   conversation:

[1]  In Part 1, a TLS session is negotiated, with
server authenticating
     to the client and optionally the client to the
server.  The
     negotiated key is then used to encrypt the rest
of the
     conversation.

[2]  In Part 2, within the TLS session, zero or more
EAP methods are
     carried out.  Part 2 completes with a
success/failure indication
     protected by the TLS session or a protected
error (TLS alert).

The PEAP conversation typically begins with an
optional identity
   exchange. The initial identity exchange is used
primarily to route the
EAP
   conversation to the EAP server.  Since the
initial identity exchange
   is in the clear, the peer MAY decide to place a
routing realm instead
   of its real name in the EAP-Response/Identity.

In short, the first exchange is based on TLS where
certificates are used
much in the same way as that used in the EAP-TLS.
The remaining information
of identity etc is then pumped through the TLS
tunnel. Hence, EAP-TLS may be
one of the methods (actually the most common method)
used to establish the
tunnel (using certificates)

Shankar