Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: security based on IP address

From: "Aditya, ALD [Aditya Lalit Deshmukh]" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway technolabs net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 06:04:00 +0530

Hi there,  My ISP provides internet access based on IP address.
As in, he gives static IP addresses to its customers and
allows/disallow internet access based on the same.   1. What am
wondering at is, what if my ip address is blocked but I take over
somebody else's ip address and try to connect to the internet?
Will the ISP's proxy detect this?  This leads to the second
question..

that depends upon what kind of connection you have to the net ... with dial up connection there is no way, with some
kind of ethernet based connection you may be able to do mac spoofing and get past the isp proxy server. the isp proxy
server may be able to detect this if they have configured it properly

2. Can I take over the ip address of a system that is
already up?   Gracias, Amit

mac spoofing ... will allow you to do it

aditya

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
wireless security

Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
ownership.

Download your free trial at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_security-basics_040301