Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: MS Outlook/Outlook Express Preview Pane Security Issue?

From: "Dozal, Tim" <tdozal () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:30:26 -0800

Kurt,

The biggest problem I saw with the preview pane is it could be tricked
into execuiting code on your system even with no attachment present.  If
you disable all HTML e-mail then you might avoid this but if you receive
HTML embedded in your e-mail as most people do now days when using
Outlook of any version then you are at risk.  Even though you may be
filtering attachments and be running zone alarm your e-mail client will
execute a lot of embedded HTML which basically acts like you are using a
browser and visiting somebody's web site to pull the content.  That
being said look into all of the vulnerabilities which require you to
visit a malicious web site and you will quickly fear web surfing all but
the most trusted sites.  Your system can easily be compromised via one
of those types of exploits merly from the preview pane acting like a
browser and pulling content from a site embeded in the mail message
body.

Again as I posted before, anything but Outlook 2003 I would recommend
against the preview pane.

Tim