Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: MS Outlook/Outlook Express Preview Pane Security Issue?

From: "Dozal, Tim" <tdozal () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:52:48 -0800

Yes if you are using anything but Outlook 2003.  The HTML injection
issues and other such exploits with just viewing the preview pane have
mostly been taken care of in the older versions but issues are still
popping up.  If you want to use the preview pane I would recommend
Outlook 2003 it has a much improved security model and the preview pane
will not execute any HTML code or download any HTML embedded pictures
unless you actually tell it to on an e-mail by e-mail basis.

I believe some of these features will also be added to Outlook Express
with the release of XP SP2 but until then I'd steer clear of the preview
pane on older Outlook versions.

If your curious why you don't want embedded HTML pic's downloaded
automatically, this is a confirmation method used by spammers to verify
you received their e-mail and that your e-mail address is valid.

Tim