Security Basics mailing list archives

Silly analogy

From: "Joe Dumass" <joe_dumass () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 00:39:20 +0000

Ok, I'd like to make my silly analogy of port scanning...

It's not the benign peeking in windows thing; I mean, come on, it's not THAT passive. I'd liken it to knocking on a door to see if someone's home, and then running away if someone answers / opens the door. Annoying yes. Illegal? I wouldn't think so, unless someone's got a restraining order out on you.

But if the door's a-knocking, watch out for flaming bags of dog turds.

Would you please stop making up stupid anlogies? Thank you. A port scan
is not telling someone what's inside your house. It tells just which of
the stores in the basement are open.

OK, the analogies are getting really silly.

Get reliable access on MSN 9 Dial-up. 3 months for the price of 1! (Limited-time offer) http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html