Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Web apps code testing

From: "Yvan Boily" <yboily () seccuris com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:56:00 -0600

There is no single tool that will grant you security.  What you are looking
for is a code audit, which can be performed internally or by another party.

Ideally you would have other people come in to look at the application (i.e.
experts), however if you feel confident in your development teams ability to
secure the application then they can perform the audit themselves.

A good way to check if you need outside security auditors is to ask your
developers if they can explain the following to you:

Cross Site Scripting & SQL injection attacks
Session Hijacking
Race conditions
Access controls and Security models which have been implemented
Role of encryption in the application (above and beyond SSL between the
browser and the web server)

If they cannot confidently offer an explanation of each of them, and
measures that they have taken to prevent them, then I seriously doubt their
capability to ensure that the application is secure.

I would also expect them to have the following given that they are using
Java, and resources related to this are easily identifiable:
Risks of RMI and related technologies in web based applications.
A report of how they dealt with issues such as those outlined in OWASP.
Hardening recommendations for the host environment.

Regards,
Yvan Boily
Information Security Analyst
Seccuris