Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Interesting problem

From: "Maktub...it is written" <kirpagulati () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 01:22:35 +0530

This is definitely a sasser. Just fixed a ditto system of one of my friends.
Get a sasser removal tool and like Roger said, search the memory for
unregistered processes.
    One system I looked up had a weird "technically named" process running
that consumed about 98% of the computer resources while it was idle!!! and
thats not a pretty sight for someone who has just bought a 3.2GHz HT P4. ;-)
    All I did was delete that particular file and whoa...no more shutdowns
and no more problems with lsass.
    BTW Norton is seemingly becoming more ad more incapable of picking up
viruses and/or fixing it and its regularly sent patches dont seem to be
helping a lot.
    I had a lot of problems with my computer too. Ran an AV scan on the
entire computer.not one found. Then someone suggested AVG(which is infact
freeware) and guess what? 43 viruses were picked up!!! And THAT is no joke.
Out of those 7 were backdoors. My system was completely open to  whomever
managed to put it there and I didnt even know.
    Please note that this is only my experience with Norton and is in no
manner being opiniated on in either a positive or negative manner.

I hope this information was useful to you.

-(FaithNEVERholds...you always get deserted along the way.) Kirpa Singh
Gulati

I'm a thief. I am the will of independence; I am the power of persona. I am
the creation of my environment. I am the pursuit of more. I know this,
because I thrive on intelligence.