Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Disaster Recovery Plan

From: Øystein Mork <oystein () dataassistanse com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:53:39 +0200

We have used ArcServe for a few years now in our firm, and combined with various tapedrives, this has provided us with a scaleable and fast way to back up our office environment. We do a full backup of our storage areas every night, one tape for each day of the week. The backups for the six previous days is stored in a fireproof safe onsite, and we replace one tape each month, which is stored off site. We backup about 300 gigs each night..

Other aspects of our disaster recovery includes ghosted images of the various models of workstations (we only use a few different models) and a good and fast supplier of hardware so you can get things up and running again fast.

Oeystein

Probably the easiest would be to make a copy of the monthly master and
store the copy off site.  A better option might be to do a full backup
weekly and incrementals each night.  At the end of the week, take the
entire set and store it off site.  Bring the previous weeks backup back
on site to reuse the tapes.

Dennis