Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Possilbe New Arp DoS - dosprmwin.exe

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:54:01 -0700 (PDT)

David,

Thanks for the response...

What did you do to be able to accomplish this?  I
think it would be
educational to the list if you could elaborate just
a little on how you
went about doing this.

We used Ethereal to detect the traffic. We found
dosprmwin by comparing
the process list on machines that were
broadcasting and then used process
of elimination.

Hhhmmm...not the most conclusive approach, but hey, if
it worked...  ;-)

I'm still not entirely clear on your line of
reasoning here...what am I
missing?  I get the first two sentences, but if you
were able to tie the
activity to a particular KB article as you did,
wouldn't that then tell
how you the program was propagating?

That just told us which exploit it was using to
install itself. We still
aren't sure if all of these users visited
an infected web site or if just
one user did and then the worm
propagated using the arp broadcasts.

Okay, now I'm *really* confused!  I'm not the smartest
guy in the world about these things, but the
vulnerability you mentioned is KB840374,
"Vulnerability in Help and Support Center Could Allow
Remote Code Execution".  Reading the article, this has
to do with URL validation, not ARP.

Also, can you elaborate on how a worm would spread via
ARP?

We were able to solve the problem by running
Windows Updates and then
stopping the dosprmwin.exe process and removing
the file from
\windows\system32. The file was marked as hidden,
read-only, and system.

You've got to admit, though...from your above
explanation, it's not clear that the updates have
anything to do with the activity stopping.  After all,
by your admission, you installed the updates, and then
killed the process.  Killing the process alone would
be enough to stop the ARP broadcasts, if they were in
fact a result of something to do with the executable
you found.

Do you have a copy of this file available for
someone to look at?

I do not.

I'd like to ask that you also provide some captures of
the activity you saw, as well.  I think having others
look at the file, as well as the ARP broadcasts (to
see what was being requested) would be very
beneficial.

Running fport or netstat ?a while the process was
still running would
show a large number of listening TCP ports. After
the process was
killed, these listening ports disappeared.

Does this mean that the output of fport explicitly
tied the open ports to this executable file?

Yes.

Okay, this is interesting.  A couple of things...first
of all...what were the ports?  Were they sequential?
Where'd they start?  What was the range?

Second, it would be interesting to see how these open
TCP ports related to the ARP broadcasts you were
seeing.

Thanks,

Harlan

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html