Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: virus mail ignores MX?

From: "Alan Greig" <Alan.Greig () Ogilvie co uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 09:50:37 +0100

Hi Monty,

When you check the message header has the message arrived straight at your Internet gateway or does it go through
viruswall? If you are relying on viruswall as your only mail scanning solution then can I respectively suggest your
current system design is flawed through the use of the second MX record.

If I were you I would consider removing the second MX record entry and reconfiguring your Internet Gateway to only
allow smtp traffic from viruswall's servers. You could reinstate your backup mx record when you have implemented some
form of local mail scanning.

Cheers.

Alan