Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Physical vs. Virtual iface device vulnerability

From: Brett <bretton () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:32:22 -0700

It seems that the implications would be the same as opening ports on
your firewall.  You are just exposing your internal network to other
services it would otherwise be free of.  The risk is really dependent
upon how confident you are that the external server is locked down.

If it is less secure than your firewall, then your internal network as
a whole is less secure.  If you only open 3306 for MySQL, and lock it
to the IP, then you are only exposing potential MySQL vulnerabilities
to one host.  If you put your external server on your internal network
as well, then you are exposing yourself to potential risks for all the
services.

Brett

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:30:21 -0700 (PDT), Samuel Moses