Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Which ports to block?

From: VHP3 <vhp3 () cox net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:50:53 -0500

The general rule is to block everything, then only allow what you need. In your case, only allow those three ports through. You would especially want to block all the way up to 65535 because most, if not all, trojans use ports much higher than 1023.

Vince

Ferino Mardo wrote:

In setting up a "deny all" rule from a firewall, is it safe to block
ports 0 to 65535 or only up to 1023? My interest are only to allow port
53 udp, 25, and 80.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html