Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Which ports to block?

From: "Barber, Chris Mr. ATEC/Contractor" <Chris.M.Barber () atec army mil>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:05:40 -0400

Basically you would have a set of rules that would look similar to this

Deny ICMP Any Any
Allow from any to SMTP Server on port 25
Allow from InternalDNS to ExternalDNS on port 53
Allow from from InsideANY to OutsideANY on port 80
Deny Any Any

This will do what you have stated below, but it may not do what you actually
want.  Firewalls can do many great things, including break your network if
you are not careful.  Make sure you do not close the door that lets you
manage the firewall.
Make sure that any inbound rules you put in place allow traffic only to a
particular host and not the whole network.

Chris.