Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Minimum password requirements

From: "Andrew Aris" <andrew () dev bigfishinternet co uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:25:41 +0100

I've seen a couple of these posts, and I already replied
before saying I thought this was unnecessary, so I'm not
trying to pick on you specifically. But can someone please
give me a real-world example where changing passwords
routinely has had any measurable benefit (yes, I know it may
be impossible to show examples of stopped intrusion
attempts--but even coming up with a realistic hypothetical
that does not involve an attacker who bruteforces at a rate
of one password a month is difficult)?

In this example you give above, the attacker could just as
well happen upon your password first--assuming it takes 4
months to try every password, his average  time to success
will be half that (two months); even if you make your timeout
two months, 25% of the time he'll get it in 1.

Now let's think about this from a more accurate perspective.
Assuming an attacker randomly tries passwords (the chances of
him brute-forcing *every single possible password* in linear
order are minimal; assuming 8 character passwords guessed at
1 per second, we're talking years here), changing the
password does not significantly help your chances. The
benefit here is by whether he can guess with replacement or
without (as in, should he guess another random password, or a
random password that he hasn't already guessed--can he narrow
his guessing set?). So 8 character alphanumeric, caps and
lower, gives us 218340105584896 possible passwords. At one
per second, over a 30 day period, going non-stop (and if your
logs don't catch *this*, you should think twice), he guesses
2592000 passwords. So if he's allowed to assume no guessing
the same password twice--i.e. that you don't cycle your
passwords regularly--he can better his odds from
1/218340105584896 to 1/218340102992896. Not a significant
change. In fact, so insignificant that if *I* were the
attacker, I wouldn't bother keeping track of passwords I'd
guessed. So does this make you safer against brute forcing?
Perhaps a very small amount.

Now, the majority of intrusions: brute forces? Dictionary attacks?
Exploit of known vulnerabilities? Or insider jobs? The last
three are serious concerns; the first, in my opinion, is not
nearly as much so.
Brute forcing is deterrable with authorized log-in domains
(allow customers to log in only from their domains),
failed-timouts, effective logging (not to hard to notice
thousands of failed attempts; letting a single or two
failures slip by is perfectly excusable), but perhaps never
will be stopped. Big deal.

Yet if we force users to change their passwords all the time,
they'll likely write them down on post-its, or some other
place, making them easily found by a coworker or anyone else
in the area. They'll also be frustrated and forget it a lot,
increasing our workload in making us reset their passwords
often. And they won't be as productive using our systems,
which, really, defeats the whole purpose of those systems.

Weak passwords are a serious problem, I agree. But when
choosing your battles, timeout policies just aren't worth the
effort to you, to your users, or to anyone else.

This is a tricky one... I'm not a big fan of enforced password expiration as
the majority of non-tehnical users have great difficulty coping with it and
either use a predictable sequence (numeric iteration etc) or just resort to
the post-it on the monitor approach. The only real thing I can see in favour
of it is that in many cases it can be very hard to know for certain wether a
password has been comprimised or not. Even on systems where the credential
usage is logged if the intruder is clever it would take a fairly detailed
audit to differentiate the unwanted logins from the normal ones.

regards,

Andrew

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html