Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Comcast Cable Setup Security Issue

From: roger.smith () calyonfinancial com
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:31:31 -0500

I agree with this Seth's post.  There are two sides to every support call.

The ordinary end user rarely understands how their AV or FW work and often
misconfigure them then.....woops!  They don't have internet access or a
clue what they might have done.  Even the people with clues can't put it
into words when they speak to tech support.  It's a maze of
miscommunication.

On the other hand - often the gal/guy installing the unit knows less than
either the end user or the tech support when it comes to AV and personal
firewalls.  They are trained to know what works and to scrap all the rest
because it's well beyond their responsibility to do customized
installations.

I haven't encountered two home or SOHO PCs that are configured the same.
There are two but I haven't encountered them.

My recommendation:  keep reminding the designers of these products there is
a lot of room for improvement.  Until they do....it's good job "security"
:)

Whatever happened to Larry Ellison's Internet Appliance PC?  ;)

Roger Smith

             "Seth Hall"
             <seth@iotaenginee
             ring.com>                                                  To
                                       "'Gandalf The White'"
             07/20/2004 05:20          <gandalf () digital net>,
             PM                        <security-basics () securityfocus com>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Comcast Cable Setup Security
                                       Issue

Sorry, but I think everyone needs to realize that this is just reality
for effective phone troubleshooting. When you are troubleshooting an
issue over the phone, it is all about identifying the core problem. When
I was doing end user Windows XP/ME/98 support via phone, one of the
first things we would do on just about ANY problem would be to disable
-and sometimes even uninstall- the antivirus/firewall software. We were
not trained to configure these 3rd party systems and were punished if we
spent time attempting to do so.

I cannot tell you how many "problems" this step has solved by itself.
Zonealarm in its early days was a nightmare. Norton was a total pain.
These programs can completely break critical functionality, and the only
way to restore usability is to uninstall them (sometimes manually,
meaning having to rip registry keys manually and delete files manually).

Now that I have come over to a Network Admin position for a
small-to-medium, I understand that one might think "But I -know- that my
firewall/antivirus isn't the problem, because I thoroughly researched
these things and have reasons X Y and Z why it couldn't be those
things." Yes, that's true.

But the phone tech doesn't know that, and you are calling him for help.
He has to fix that problem and he doesn't know the things that you think
you know, so he has to get rid of factors that have proven to be
problem-causing in the past. That means dumping glitchy antivirus
software and disconnecting misconfigured firewalls, among other things.
You may not have either of those, but he doesn't know that and has to
assume that you do have those things. He knows just as well as any of us
that there are risks of infection.

That said, it's not like he's asking you to get on IRC and download the
latest warez while setting up your email account to get confirmation
with a side of viruses. I know many here will "freak out" but the fact
of the matter is if you are visiting official Comcast sites with a
patched up box and are done and reconnected in under 10 minutes, your
risk of infection is infinitesimally small. They aren't asking you to
run forever without protection, just for now while they are on the clock
and trying to get you up and running.

If you're really concerned, keep a linux box nearby and hook that up.
They need not know the details, as long as you can hook up a box and get
on their site, they are happy.

/Seth Hall