Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Minimum password requirements

From: "Hamish Stanaway" <koremeltdown () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 01:29:50 +0000

Hi there Randy,

I have a few questions, comments etc :).
First off sounds like your on the right track with your policy.
My first question is, why can the passwords not be changed for the first 14 days? This presents a possible security risk in that anyone brute forcing etc in an attempt to gain control of an account would have ample time to get in. You might have a valid reason for implementing this policy but there is an angle yu may have never considered before. My second commend is that I would probably chop that 90 day period right down to 30-60 days, as again brute forcing is an issue. It might be an idea at the administrative end to ensure that failed login attempts are logged :) You might have some trouble with the 10 past passwords cannot be used, as users tend to forget lots of new passwords, therefore they WILL write the passwords down - then someone will find it, and you will have problems of someone logging on as someone other than themselves. I also don't believe that "owning" your own account is a good terminology - this implies that this is the "users" property. This also means that unless they are breaking a law, they can pretty much do as they wish as it is their "property". You might be better referring to it as "leased", or something along those lines. You will have to fine tune all words, as it only takes one little mistake for a user to eventually find a hole in your documentation and exploit it like any hacker would :).
Hopefully my points have helped you out some.

Kindest of regards,

Hamish Stanaway, CEO

Absolute Web Hosting, -= KoRe WoRkS =- Internet Security
Auckland
New Zealand

http://www.webhosting.net.nz
http://www.buywebhosting.co.nz