Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: antivirus for linux

From: "Wolf, Tomas" <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:40:10 -0500

Hello,

I have a good experience with an anti-virus software for Linux and Windows platforms. It is Grisoft's AVG 7.0; which is made for several purposes (smb servers, desktops, e-mail gateways, etc.). I have also made small test of Sophos, F-Prot, Norton and AVG; I was looking at performance / ease of use / readiness out-of-the-box / updates / real-time-scan / virus detection. While some were in my test (four PCs) once up and once down (Sophos had best detection / worst impact on performance) AVG had always steady, good results. It was best in default settings, ease of use and had lowest performance impact. My colleague, on the other hand, uses Kaspersky and says that the performance impact is minimal and the detection is great.

The experiments made me realize something... All of them (as everything) have their strengths and weaknesses. One has to evaluate the trade off.

Best regards,
 Tomas Wolf

Bruno França dos Reis wrote:

Hello guys

I'm kinda new to linux, and getting more and more worried about security. I was wondering: is it necessary for me to have an anti-virus application? If so, is it a "live scanner", like the ones I know for windows?

Do you recommend using an anti-virus software? If so, which?

Moreover, I have a linux firewall. Is there any way for me to detect virus activity trying either to break into a computer (like Sasser or others like it) or to detect incoming mail with virus? Note: my firewall isn't my mail server. I was wondering if it could sniff connections to pop mail servers and detect virus code.

Thanks in advance.

Bruno Reis

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html