Security Basics mailing list archives

Multilayer Protection from 4 different antiviralwares...?

From: "J. Yoon" <supercool9000 () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:57:11 -0500

Knowing that 1 single antiviral ware can not detect every virus/worm and the difference in the time virus defitions are released, I've tried to install many as possible to try and get multiple layer protection.

Has anyone ever successfully configured an XP/2000/NT to work with a combination of different antivirus softwares?

I've been using the following in conjunction;

1. mcafee
2. norton
3. avg
4. pccillin

However, I realized that even if I have more than 1 antiviral software running, only one of them will scan my IMAP emails and only one of them will detect those resident in the memory....
ALL depending on which software was installed "LAST".
We're not talking about scheduled-scan but the actual scanning of registry/memory and live interception. I've tried testing this speculation by infecting my system with two different set of known worms/trojans and noticed that only one was doing anything at all.

One thing to note is that McAfee seems to crash very often when I run it together with Norton.

Is it actually providing triple/quad protection, or is this another common "false sense of security"?

What would the experts recommend we do
in order to get a SOLID multi-layer viral protection?
(ie: taking into consideration the software compatibility issues between different products)

Learn how to choose, serve, and enjoy wine at Wine @ MSN. http://wine.msn.com/

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less. We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, and many other technical hands on courses. Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off any course! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------