Security Basics mailing list archives

post trimming on Security-Basics

From: Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:56:48 -0700 (MST)

I always enjoy moderating this list and don't generally post much myself
(except new article announcements for SecurityFocus), however I'm
compelled to speak up about some recent threads. There is very often good
content and excellent discussions taking place, but recently I have seen
quite a few posts recently that have unedited quotes that exceed 20kb in
size. Please don't do this.

I would like to request that more people trim the quotes in their post to
include only the relevant information that they're replying to. It makes
it much easier for the rest of us to read and follow the conversation, and
particularly for the lurkers who post infrequently.  Most of us know what
this means; I have always liked the quote-respond-quote-respond approach
that is used in busy mailing lists, as this style dates back to early
lists and to the Usenet. Trimmed quotes followed by a single response are
effective as well. Your choice.

For those of you who might not be familiar with common posting etiquette
to mailing lists, consider a short tutorial such as
http://www.digital-web.com/tutorials/tutorial_1999-12.shtml and/or follow
the lead of some of the more experienced posters on Security-Basics.

As a side note, I have changed my policy slightly about the OOO
(out-of-office responses) that continually plague the list. When I receive
an OOO, I now immediately remove the subscriber from the listserv without
warning. I used to email each offender as I remove them but this simply
takes too much time, and it's a never-ending battle. This housekeeping
generally happens only once or twice a week (as often as I post here).

Thanks for your attention. :)

--
Kelly Martin SecurityFocus kel () securityfocus com +001-403-261-5468
Moderator for Security-Basics

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!