Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Career as a parttime CISSP instructor?

From: "Ed Spencer" <espencer () usa net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:34:02 -0900

1. If you want to teach classes I'd recommend picking up a teaching
credential like the CTT+ (Certified Technical Trainer -
http://www.comptia.org/certification/ctt/default.asp).  If you'll be
teaching a CISSP class at a college or university it's likely they'll want
to see at least a Bachelor's degree (depending on if the class is given for
credit).  If you plan on teaching the material you better know it inside and
out.  I've seen ill-prepared instructors and it doesn't make me happy when I
know I paid a couple thousand dollars for a class and the instructor didn't
even bother to take the time to prepare properly.

2. As for the amount of money you can expect it would depend on who you're
teaching for, where the classes are held, and how long they are.  When
teaching techinical education classes for some vendors I get paid by number
of students enrolled, with others I get paid by the day no matter how many
students are enrolled.  The pay varies from company to company and classes
to class.

Please understand I haven't taught any CISSP classes (working on my CISSP -
test in March) but have taught plenty of other technical education courses
(mostly Microsoft and CompTIA).  I have taught classes for free or bartered
for payment in other ways when it was in my and/or the company's best
interest.

Ed Spencer
MCSE/MCT/MCP/CNA/A+/Network+/Security+
University of Alaska Fairbanks