Security Basics mailing list archives

advice

From: "John Kampanellis" <ikampa () enst fr>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:49:03 +0200

Hi!

I know my question has already been asked, but I think that answers do
not follow the rule one size fit all.
What I would like, is the chance to get as much as I can from the
maturity and experience of the people joinning this list.

I come from Greece. I a holder of a diploma in Electrical and Computer
Engineering and I am about to finish my MSc in System and Network
Security, pursued in France. Considering, that I am about to finish my
internship, I have to thing what to do next. I decided that a first step
before entering the market, could be to get a certificate. But which
one?

I am pationned with security and and I am very intersted in networks. My
opinion is that  being successful in the security domain, requires from
someone to have a very good knowedge of networks and systems.So my
questions are  the following:

1)Should I get a certificate in networks , i.e. CCNA?
Since I have an MSc in security may be being certified in networking is
better.
I believe that I know 70% of what CCNA covers. However, may a
certificate may help me at the beginning of my carreer.

2)Should I get a ceritificate in security and in that case which one?
I know some of you would recommend me certificates such as:GIAC, CISSP,
CSSP.
However, the problem is that I don't thing there are centers in Greece
where I can get the exams.
The only one for which I have found a exam center is "Security Certified
Program (SCP)".
What is your opinion about?

3)My third option (which I don't like so much) is a Microsoft
Certificate such as MSSE.
I am asking you, even though I don't like this option so much. I don't
thing that people in Microsoft have real good knowledge about networking
or security.

Thanks in advance,
John