Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Out of my league.....

From: Dani Wuck <wuck () chello nl>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 19:04:14 +0100

I suspect I won't be of much help, but:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers says:

microsoft-ds    445/tcp    Microsoft-DS
microsoft-ds    445/udp    Microsoft-DS

And

netbios-ssn     139/tcp    NETBIOS Session Service
netbios-ssn     139/udp    NETBIOS Session Service

It's a Microsoft one.
Do you know if there's Samba running newhere? Or are both boxes running something windows?

Jeff Johnson wrote:

Hello. My ignorance will be vivid here....

I'm currently doing marketing at a small office, but, as I'm technically
inclined enough to be dangerous, in my spare time do the IS support as well.
They had an outside consultant set up the system, and he had done other
setups/management when needed, but, is no longer available.  He'd set up the
network with a Symantec VPN/Firewall appliance as the external gateway,  but
had opened up ports to a server inside the network which is currently
hosting the email server (Xmail), DNS, as well as a simple web app to do
web-mail checking for employees from the outside.  Also opened ports for
ssl, termserver, ftp, smtp, and pop3, and another port for remote admin.

Looked a bit insecure for me when I noticed it, so, I installed ZoneAlarm on
this server inside the network, which is currently working.  Plans are to
move the web serving onto another server which will be put into a DMZ. After
noticing these open ports, I also decided to pay more attention to the
firewall logs, and noticed not just the normal external port scan attack
blocks, but also that a couple of computers, including the company server,
are attempting to access outside IPs using closed port calls (therefore, the
firewall catches and logs them).  These blocks come with the message Block
host "" internet access, and are typically using ports  139 & 445.  Looked
suspicious, so, I ran an fport scan on the server, and it did show ports 139
& 445 open, but, shows that the Pid is 8 (the system).....Also did some
ethereal scan of the network, and it does show that the server is trying to
access this specific external ip address.

My question is (kudos if you've patiently read everything so far), how do I
find out what this process is that is trying to do these accesses, or am I
being overly paranoid.

I don't think you're being overly paranoid. There might be some box trying to share something with external IP's, and you don't want that, do you?

I do find it strange that _your_ network tries to reach an external host. Usually, it's vice versa :)
Perhaps an employee who want to access his files at home? But he woulnd't have server access ...

Main thing: Search for anything SMB. In Windows that is the Network Neighbourhood, in *nix it'd be the smbclient.

Hope this helps in any way,

 - wuck

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less. We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, and many other technical hands on courses. Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off any course! ----------------------------------------------------------------------------