Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Recover SCO UNIX root password

From: "Mandelcorn, Seymour" <smandelcorn () bgr umd edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:21:41 -0500

When I tried using the install disk that you reference at the end of the
boot up on the floppy it gives a message that it can't find /dev/install

Thank you for your help

Seymour

I have tried this and it works:

Edit /mnt/etc/passwd. The first line will be your root line, such as
root:encryptedpasswordgoeshere:0:0:God,Everywhere:/:/bin/sh
Edit out the encrypted password (don't touch anything else!) so that the
line reads something like root::0:0:God,Everywhere:/:/bin/sh

Save the file and shut down. Reboot from the hard drive. Your root password
has now been removed, and you can reset it normally

If you still need help mounting the volume try one of these:

http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec1.html#downloadboot

HTH
Jason

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:33:33 -0500, Mandelcorn, Seymour