Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: pings

From: cc <cc () belfordhk com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:33:32 +0800

Leif Ericksen sighed and wrote::
Overall I would not worry to much about ping packets noticed in your
firewall logs.  Yeah notice them and unless you are seeing hundreds to
thousands of packets not a big deal.  I am on a DHCP connection with my
ISP and I see various hits in my IDS from PING.  ping hits aer way to
common for most people to worry about.

Here's a bit of stats that might put things into a bit of
a perspective.

Since 18th Feb. 2004, up until now, I've had 188000+ alerts.
As it stands, 69% of these are ICMP packets.

In the past, when I first installed snort on the firewall,
most were TCP connects.  Now the majority is ICMPs.

So I'm a little bit perturbed by this...