Security Basics mailing list archives

pings

From: cc <cc () belfordhk com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 10:09:32 +0800

Hi,

I've been monitoring my firewall logs, via. snort and ACID and
have noticed that I've been getting a lot of pings from
different IP addresses, but most from the 'pnap.net'
network.   Between "Undefined Code" (as stated in Snort)
to the Ping that contains "Please Help Me. matrix catch me"
packet.   Now I've shut down the ICMP capabilities; that
is, I've set my firewall to drop ICMPs.

My question is, has anyone received any of such pings
from the 'pnap.net' network?   I've done some
basic checks on the particular IPs from this domain,
and since I'm quite a neophyte in the security business,
I don't know whether the source is spoofed or not.

Should I even be concerned about these pings?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thank you.

And a Very Safe and Merry Christmas to you all!

Edmund