Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Basic Security for RedHat

From: "Nardis, Frank" <nardis () TrendCS com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:42:51 -0500

I'm guessing that given the fact that you state there are 3 admins your
server, what you are really looking for is everyone that su's to root.

If that is the case, make sure that you can no telnet or ssh to the box as
root directly.  When you or your other admins su to root, an authentication
entry is placed in /var/log/messages similar to the one below

Dec  9 16:33:29 servername PAM_pwdb[25551]: (su) session opened for user
root by smith(uid=504)

-which provides accountability.  Of course if all three have console access
to the physical box that idea goes out the window.

If you need to more protective about the data on the box - Tripwire!

Frank