Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure FTP server for Windows

From: "Dana Epp" <dana () vulscan com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:28:37 -0800

Oh come on now.

Comments like this are so unproductive to the conversation. Any operating system, including Windows, can be made secure. WHAT level of security is dependant on the risks you are trying to mitigate. You CAN make Windows secure, just as easily as how you can easily make Unix INSECURE. Its all in how you approach it.

It comes down that you need to quit thinking of the technical safeguards as THE solution and instead apply real world infosec policies to reduce the risks and protect the assets you need to by applying the safeguards as part of a bigger process. I blogged about this a year ago when I talked about the "8 rules of Information Security" (http://silverstr.ufies.org/blog/archives/000468.html)

In this case, you can definitely set up a secure SSH server on Windows, jail the enviroment and tighten the file ACLs to allow for SCP access for files you wish to exchange. This would be NO different than applying the same thing on a Unix environment. So instead of slagging the operating system think about what assets need to be protected, and what infosec policies need to be applied to effectively give access to those who need access to the asset. Then apply the technical safeguards in the OS as required.

I mean no disrespect Volker, but this kind of position doesn't help the situation. It only hinders any progress we can make by applying a higher level of thinking through sound infosec policies. And thats platform neutral.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Volker Kindermann" <ml () ps102 de>