Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How can I enable power users on W2k domain to defrag their hard drives??

From: Simon Zuckerbraun <szucker () sst-pr-1 com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:07:31 -0500

The hack described there is a bad idea in terms of security. Despite any claims to the contrary, the password can definitely be retrieved from the executable.

When you run the compiled script, some process has got to take place that decrypts the password. (If not, the script wouldn't be able to use the password, would it?) Anyone who wants to retrieve the password from the executable can simply follow that very same process to decrypt the password.

For example, he could copy the compiled executable to a machine that he owns, and run it inside a debugger. The executable decrypts the password, at which point the password is visible in memory.

Simon