Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: educating rDNS violators

From: Derek Schaible <dschaible () cssiinc com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:13:59 -0400

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 21:36, Mark Reis wrote:
A question for those who have implemented rDNS restrictions.

In the case of a mail server with roaming users, how do you deal with
roaming users?  A majority of our users travel to conferences and use
secure IMAP and SMTP to send their mail. Perhaps this is a
misconception, but I thought that some mail clients attempt to portray
themselves as a SMTP server relaying through the main mail server.  If
we have users off traveling and having their email is blocked while they
were connected at a hotel with bad rDNS entries, I'd be getting ticked
off calls.

Any suggestions?

If you are providing a secure SMTP server that requires authentication
for your road warriors, rDNS will have no effect on their ability to use
it for out-bound mail. When they authenticate, they are added to the
valid list of relay clients which will bypass these filters on the
server. This is exactly how we provide smtp service for our traveling
userbase.

HTH
--
Derek Schaible <dschaible () cssiinc com>
CSSI, Inc.