Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: educating rDNS violators

From: Eric Brown <ericbrow () ziplip com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:55:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,
I will admit, I thought I knew enough about DNS to get it working.  I managed to send and recieve mail to myself from
all the domains I managed.  I could get to the right website.  I ran into a domain that did exactly as Scott mentions
here.  The sysadmin for this domain was no help at all, and quite rude about it.  It turned out it wasn't a problem
with my DNS servers, but my upstream provider.  They had to add a PTR entry to their DNS, so that all of our class C
IP's mapped back to us.

I'm certain that I don't know all I should about being a sysadmin.  I do know I enjoy it a lot.  I think this list is
one of the best places to educate people like myself.

That's my 2 cent anyway.
Eric