Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Blocking Access to Non-domain computers

From: "DeGennaro, Gregory" <Gregory_DeGennaro () csaa com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:14:18 -0700

You can use MAC filtering, however if you are really paranoid, you
should use a CA server which can be extended to the network level using
802.1x.  If you are not using Active Directory, you may want to migrate
to AD and if you are paranoid, upgrade to Windows 2003 server and XP
professional and take advantage of Ipsec Policy.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/de
ployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/200
3/all/deployguide/en-us/dnsbj_ips_overview.asp

It seems to work really nice and have heard many good things about ipsec
policy.  Of course, if you encrypt traffic and you use a NIDS, you will
need to have man-in-middle devices to unencrypt and sniff the packets
and re-encrypt or you will need a HIDS on all devices.

Regards,

Greg DeGennaro Jr., CISSP, CCNP
Systems Engineer