Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Access to Non-domain computers

From: Peter Wohlers <pedro () whack org>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:10:31 -0700

Andreas wrote:

Hello,

On Thursday 19 August 2004 16:58, Brian Gehrke wrote:

I am running a W2K domain, using DHCP.  Is it possible to block
non-domain computers from getting an IP address from the DHCP server, so
they will not be able to access the Internet through the network.

Start looking at 802.1x

Although you usually hear of it's implementation in wireless networks, that just happens to be it's most dire use. It can authenticate wired ethernet dhcp access as well. Here's a link to someone's page on how to implement it:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~mvanopst/8021x/howto/server.html

--Peter Wohlers

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html