Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Images being pulled in Outlook 2003 even though don't download pictures is set?

From: "Jordan Cole (stilist)" <stilist () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:13:09 -0400

Any advice on how to deal with this?  How does that "cid: .." translate
into a legitimate IP address from which to pull an image?

As I recall from back in the day, the cid: is just a reference to
images attatched to the message, and encoded in base64. The simple way
to figure this out is save the current message as an .eml and look at
it with notepad or some other text editor. The address after the cid:
_should_ reference a compressed file at the end of the message.

--

[stlst]

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html