Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 2000 Administrator lockout

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:07:29 +0200

On 2004-08-13 Robert Ritchey wrote:
The network that I have is rather small.  1 server, and 4 workstations.
I inherited the systems.  There has been no administrator working there
for a little over a year.
[...]
Nobody knows any of the passwords for anything on the system.  Any of
the passwords that are in use are not allowed administrator access.  I
do mean for anything!  I can't even get Symantec to update virus
signatures, as I do not have a password to do the update with.
[...]
I am looking for options, before I have to go and reformat and rebuild.
[...]
Does anyone know of any other way to take control of this machine and
network.

Yes. This is a frequently asked question and some googling (or searching
the list archive) should have unearthed the answer.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html