Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tracking down a vandalizer who's faking his IP

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 26 Apr 2004 13:52:15 -0000

I have sent an email to the owner of that segment of IP address but haven't
heard anything for the past 2 months other than an automated reply.  Do most
admins in other countries ignore requests to reveal source IP's when they
feel it's just a vandalism and not a significant incidence?

I don't think that it's necessarily dependant upon which country the admin is from...lots of admins from all over
ignore such things.

Does anyone here have any experience tracking down a faker such as this
and could you provide any tips on how one can effectively talk to
and coordinate with the ISP's at the other end?

Instead of focusing on tracking the faker, why not focus your efforts on securing the web site?  You said you haven't
heard back from the admin you contact in 2 months, but you're also saying that this faker "is vandalizing" the site
(ie, present tense).

Also, it doesn't sound as if this person if "faking" his IP address, as much as he's perhaps routing his communications
through the remote system you've identified.  Since you haven't been able to get in touch w/ the owner or admin of that
block of IPs, maybe you should focus on securing the web site itself.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html