Security Basics mailing list archives

How safe are those "Free" Anonymous SSL,HTTPS Proxies?

From: "Jon S." <supercool9000 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:46:27 -0400

How safe is it for someone to use one of those Anonymous SSL, HTTP proxy servers that can be found from the internet (after searching for "free proxy servers")?

1) Is it just plain stupid to use the "free" Anonymous proxy servers that we found from the net,
when we're thinking of securing the communication via "SSL, HTTPS"?

Or would you say "it's still better than revealing your source IP
and jeapordizing your anonymity, use it if you can".

2) Is any part of "Anonymous SSL,HTTPS Proxy" ever sent unencrypted (or otherwise abnormally vulnerable form), aside from header packets?

3) How difficult is it for someone to intercept AND decipher the messages, (in terms of average time assuming typical ssl/https encryption strength)?

Thanks in advance...

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar – get it now! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html