Security Basics mailing list archives

restore Administrator password

From: "Huddleston, James E SPC, S-2" <james.huddleston () us army mil>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:56:17 +0200

Depending on the size of your company, you could have them purchase a
program called NTFSPro, it allows you to boot to dos and mount the NTFS
partition, then you just have to delete the sam file, it will reset the
admin password to blank, but it deletes all other accounts as well.  If
you write a script to run at bootup you can have it create a new account
with admin rights, then instead of deleting the sam file, just rename
it, after you create the script, re-rename the sam file back and login
with the newly created administrative account.

Huddleston, James E.