Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: restore Administrator password

From: "Andreas Freyvogel" <afreyvogel () ecmarket com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:35:19 -0700

Filip,

If you have physical access to the drive then boot with dos (ntfsdos) and go
to the %winnt%\system32\config folder. Delete the SAM file and when you
reboot the machine you will have no password for the administrator account.
Keep in mind that this will delete any other users on the system. You just
need to recreate them with the same names and they will be fine again.

Good luck.
-Andreas