Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Securing a Local Network

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:27:35 +0200

Hi John,

just want to touch on a couple of points:

a linux domain controller would certainly be a possibility, with a
combination of samba/openldap/krb5 you can even simulate ADS. The
implementation costs, however, will be much higher than the
license/implementation costs with a wintendo DC.

There would be many reasons to put a server in there, you could run
file/patch/auth/anti-virus and more on one machine for that size network.

As far as AV, I would suggest putting in client-side AV for now, and
planning to expand to a virus-gateway for smtp/http/ftp at some point in the
future. At the moment, I would guess that the risk of getting infected files
from disks is similar to the risk of getting infected stuff by downloading
it.

Regarding 'a good way to set up a solid base of security' I would recommend
you think about defense in depth, and start with things that will have the
largest impact first. The largest impact will be your DC and AV, which you
have correctly identified. Are you able to audit the router configs
yourself? If not then, add firewall to the 'large impact' items. Otherwise,
you probably can lock your router down tight enough to allow you to wait
with a firewall. (Some people will disagree, but I think that your
priorities are definitely your domain and you anti-virus.)

If you want to talk in more detail, feel free to email me back.

Cheers,

Chris Meidinger