Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless: 802.11 - FHSS systems

From: Bob George <mailings02 () ttlexceeded com>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 07:28:53 -0500

Dpto. de Internet- Jose J. Pedrajas wrote:
[...]
I am interested in wireless systems that use FHSS as the radio access
method. I have just read some articles and I would like to know something
more:

    1) What do you think about security in these type of systems (FHSS vs
DSSS)?

As with any products, it depends on the manufacturer. Some are very proactive, and addressing security in a prudent manner. Others are counting on FHSS being mysterious, and beyond the comprehension of anybody but their elite group of techies, touting "complex and proprietary" as their safeguards.

    2) Is it possible to use sniffers in these systems? How much of easy it
is to sniff them?

Not "easy" per se, but with the same equipment it'd certainly be doable. You won't find any $80 wireless NICs for these at your local computer store though. You'd have to WANT to get them, and be willing to spend some bucks to do it. Even then, if they're prudent and encrypting etc., it might all be for naught.

    3) Could you recommend me some links about these type of technology?

Google away. You should find plenty.

    4) I know that, an enterprise that manufacture these systems, is
Alvarion. Do you know another enterprises?

Proxim for one. I'm tired and busy on other things, so others aren't jumping into my head, but there is no shortage of them out there.

- Bob

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html