Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Vendor Partnerships

From: Alessandro Bottonelli <abottonelli () libero it>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:20:49 +0200

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 00:34, jm wrote:
Hi

I am joining a small consulting firm as their security guy. As of yet
they do not have any partner programs in place with Security vendors or
product manufacturers.

It much depends on the "business concept" this consulting firm has.

My consulting firm, as an example, has partnerships -- some of them working
quite well, with other consulting firms, but none with product vendors.

We have based our business concept on real "independent" consultancy.

We assess, we tell our clients what their security needs are, and for what
business goals, but when it comes to technology we may tell them in "broad"
technological terms what they can use, but we do not try to sell them
particular brands or solutions.  If the client insists on us recommending a
specific piece of technology, we rather assist them in deciding (with
decision-making tools and the like), but we let THEM choose.

I am not suggesting that this way of consulting is better then others, I am
only trying to suggest that you check up with the firm's partners in making
sure a vendor partnership is in line with their "business concept"

Cheers,

--
Alessandro Bottonelli
www.axis-net.it