Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard Drive keeps filling up

From: Eric Brown <ericbrow () ziplip com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 04:38:33 -0700 (PDT)

Harris,

One thing I didn't notice you mentioning was shutting down unnecessairy services in XP, such as Remote Desktop, Remote
Registry, and Messenger.

While there may be some that disagree with me, I have not had luck with McAffee's virus scanner.  I had a client with a
computer that was restarting each night, sometimes 2 or three times a night.  We replaced nearly every single piece of
hardware that would cause the problem before we looked at alternate possibilities.  They were running the latest
version of McAffee, and had a scan every evening.  But they were infected with several trojans, and were even running a
few irc bots.

Try using another method of scanning for the virus, like a free on-line virus scan.  You're infected with something.
More knowledgeable ones on the list can probably tell you what.

I kind of think the 3 firewalls might be a little overkill also.  Just more to mess with.  While there are many that
swear by one firewall or another, Zone Alarm is easy to use.  I've heard many say it doesn't work, but I've not seen
evidence to back it up.  I will say that Zone Alarm has been known to "break" and stop working, allowing either all
internet traffic or none at all.

That's my two cents anyway.
Eric