Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Transparent firewall for DMZ

From: irado furioso com tudo <irado () nettaxi com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:14:45 -0300

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:54:32 -0400
Chris Ditri <chrisd () better-investing org> wrote:

This is my first post to the list, so please be gentle :).

I am building a DMZ, but I don't really have any experience with
transparent bridge firewalls.  I have a reasonbly good understanding
of iptables and linux in general, and have built many NAT based
firewalls, so I am not a total newbie -- but this will be my first
DMZ.

I was wondering if anyone out there might know of a good resource (or
resources) to get started on this.

friend, the transparent bridge in Linux is simply.. a pain. Suggest you
to look at FreeBSD/OpenBSD (this one is hard to settle). There are some
articles everywhere on the subject, like..

http://vlsi.cornell.edu/~rajit/fbsd/bridge.html (rather old, but valid
concepts)
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=bridge&sp-k=&sp-a=sp10015f36

saudações,
irado furioso com tudo
100% Microsoft-free
Linux User 179402/FreeBSD BSD50853

Tudo o que Existe egressa do Ser e regressa ao Ser. O Ser é o Insondável
Tao. Das profundezas do Ser nascem todos os seres que existem.
O Ser, porém, é o abismo do Não-Existir.