Security Basics mailing list archives

Transparent firewall for DMZ

From: Chris Ditri <chrisd () better-investing org>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:54:32 -0400

Hello everyone.

This is my first post to the list, so please be gentle :).

I am building a DMZ, but I don't really have any experience with transparent
bridge firewalls.  I have a reasonbly good understanding of iptables and
linux in general, and have built many NAT based firewalls, so I am not a
total newbie -- but this will be my first DMZ.

I was wondering if anyone out there might know of a good resource (or
resources) to get started on this.

The one reference I found was not so helpful, but did state that you cannot do
with with any other kernel version except those between 2.4.12 and 2.4.19
(inclusive).  Is this true?  Can I use a 2.4.22 kernel to do this?

My final question:  Is this too advanced of a question to ask on this mailing
list?  I don't know how basic "basic" is :0).

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm