Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Access Internal and External Networks

From: JGrimshaw () ASAP com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:53:43 -0500

For a less headachy set up, I would suggest number 2.  Multihoming for the
purposes you describe really is not a good idea, and could lead to
additional problems.

Where I am at now, it was done that way (and is in the process of being
changed) and the DNS entry has the external nic, which then is filtered
through the firewall, so anyone that tries to ping or manage something by
name automatically goes to DNS and it fails, because the firewall is doing
its job.

Even though the other IP address is in WINS, nothing uses WINS by default
(yes, it's an NT shop, but everyone keep in mind I am a Router/WAN guy
wearing a variety of hats).

I've found it to work best when one NIC is used (unless teaming or fault
tolerance is involved, which is a different discussion) and using NAT to
translate to a static external address for you, perhaps hosted on a device
such as a BIG IP for load balancing the requests.  When attackers try to
penetrate, they then have to go through the router, the firewall, and the
big IP (or some other balancer or other devices you may have in line)
before finally getting onto your network.

Granted, the Big IP doesn't provide much in the way of protection, but it
does allow for the assignment of virtual IP addresses to the server that
could be assigned via a static nat translation on a firewall, which could
then be permitted through the firewall, via ports such as 80 and 443 if
that's what those servers are hosting.

This is assuming, of course, your external connection is for the purposes
of hosting something.  If you are just going to connect to the internet
for other reasons, I would still suggest using the NAT scenario.

If anyone can offer a better idea, I am all ears, as I am trying to reduce
the multi-homing in my environment as much as I can.

<william () orlitech com au>
09/18/2003 05:42 PM

security-basics () securityfocus com
cc

Subject
Access Internal and External Networks

I have a need for some servers to access both the external network and the
internal network and am wondering which approach would be best:

1. 2 NIC's in each server one connected to the external network and one
connected to the internal network

2. 1 NIC in each server connected to the internal network and DNAT the
required ports from the external address to the internal address

Thanks

William

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm