Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: What is the most secure web browser,

From: Tim Larson <tim () lovelyskin com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:31:20 -0500

secureot wrote:

There have been several recent vulnerabilities in the
past few weeks alone on IE, that prove that it is
obviously not the secure web browser of choice.
My question to the list, is what is the most secure
browser that will not get manipulated like IE? Is the programming languages and protocols at fault or $pecific vendors? I don’t think that continuous, almost daily patching
is realistic or even close to a resolution. I also do
not believe that Lynx is an answer.

I believe the biggest problem is IE's close tie to Windows, and the fact that it allows scripting to affect Windows - so I guess you could say I'm blaming the vendor. I use Opera and Mozilla (and occasionally derivatives like Netscape and Galeon) for web browsing, and Thunderbird for email. (In general I like the user features of Opera better, but occasionally - very seldom with version 7 - Opera won't work with a site that Mozilla is fine with.) About the only time I use IE is when visiting microsoft.com for Windows updates.

Tim
--
Tim Larson, Webmaster, LovelySkin.com
For a more beautiful you, surf us!

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm