Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Executing programs via SYSTEM account (was Re: FW: remote administration via hidden shares)

From: Birl <sbirl () temple edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:50:41 -0400 (EDT)

As it was written on Sep 11, thus Pedro RObles typed:

Pedro:  It's possible to execute a task, like applying a windows patch inmediatly.
Pedro:  We are trying to patch as many computers possible without actually visiting
Pedro:  the users.

Is it possible?  I think so.  But you would be better off installing
Microsoft's SUS

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/windowsupdate/sus/default.asp

See the thread from this mailing list called "Deploying Microsoft Patches"
from July 11th 2003 for further information.

Thanks

 Scott Birl                              http://concept.temple.edu/sysadmin/nt2000/
 Senior Systems Administrator            Computer Services   Temple University
====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====+====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*

Pedro:  -----Original Message-----
Pedro:  From: Birl [mailto:sbirl () temple edu]
Pedro:  Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 4:08 PM
Pedro:  To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Pedro:  Cc: security-basics () securityfocus com
Pedro:  Subject: Executing programs via SYSTEM account (was Re: FW: remote
Pedro:  administration via hidden shares)
Pedro:
Pedro:  As it was written on Sep 8, thus Pedro RObles typed:
Pedro:
Pedro:  Pedro:  -----Original Message-----
Pedro:  Pedro:  From: Pedro RObles [mailto:par13 () psu edu]
Pedro:  Pedro:  Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 3:03 PM
Pedro:  Pedro:  To: 'Andreas Schubert'
Pedro:  Pedro:  Subject: RE: remote administration via hidden shares
Pedro:  Pedro:
Pedro:  Pedro:
Pedro:  Pedro:  If I want to execute a script using the system account, can you
Pedro:  provide some
Pedro:  Pedro:  suggestions.
Pedro:
Pedro:  I do this quite freqently.  Use the 'at' command.
Pedro:
Pedro:  Example:  I run TaskMgr as the SYSTEM to kill processes that normally wont
Pedro:            die via Administrator:
Pedro:
Pedro:  at 09:00 /interactive /every:M,W,F TaskMgr.exe
Pedro:
Pedro:  (This will launch Task Manager every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9am
Pedro:  in interactive mode)

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm