Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: arpwatch

From: Gunter Luyten <Gunter.Luyten () student kuleuven ac be>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:04:27 +0200

zidan wrote:
hello,

I have recently installed arpwatch on one of our servers. I understood
arpwatch "learns" arp replies, but since arp replies are destined to a
specific MAC and
this is a switched network, how can arpwatch see all arp replies ?

-Z

Hi,

ARP uses broadcast packets to discover which MAC address belongs to a given IP address. Therefore the requests and also the replies are received by every host on the network segment. Your network may be switched, but broadcasts are still sent to every connected host.

Best regards,

Gunter

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm