Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: arpwatch

From: Tomas Wolf <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:33:02 -0400

my 2c --
a) some switches horribly leak :-)
b) port mirroring would be the best bet (managable switches necessary)
c) some under heavy load work like hubs (flood it)

good luck - T.

zidan wrote:

hello,

I have recently installed arpwatch on one of our servers. I understood
arpwatch "learns" arp replies, but since arp replies are destined to a
specific MAC and
this is a switched network, how can arpwatch see all arp replies ?

-Z

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm