Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ICMP (Ping)

From: <jfastabe () up edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:34:55 -0700 (PDT)

Jay,

I think you should check out a security tool known as nmap "network
mapper" at www.insecure.org.  I believe it is fairly popular as far as
scanners go and it doesn't just do a ping sweep unless you ask it to.
If I was looking for something to break into I would go this route why
bother checking for ping replies  when you can just send out syn packets
to port
80 or 21 or whatever you are looking for?

by the way I allow ping request/replies but that is just my preference. I
would think, though i am not an expert, that the only dangerous icmp types
to allow would be any of the redirects.

john